This week’s eclectic mix moves from soul to hip hop, through big orchestra to singer-songwriter lushness. But each track has that sticky funk, that gets in your head and makes you want to groove. Whether they’re singing about the stickiness of good lovin’, that makes you want to hang around for more – or the sticky good greenery you want to roll up and huff and puff – these ten tunes are gonna get in your soul, and keep you coming back for more.
Sample the tracks individually, or download a Zip File (78MB) of all the tracks here.
1) So In Love – Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions
2) Rosebud – SA-RA Creative Partners
3) You Know, You Know – Mahavishnu Orchestra
4) Les Fleur – Ramsey Lewis
5) 2 Wicky – Hooverphonic
6) River Man (Nick Drake cover) – Shawn Lee
7) Honey Bee – Jessie Mae Hemphill
8) I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl (Nina Simone cover) – Nikka Costa
9) Kiss (ft. Will Oldham) – Scout Niblett
10) Everybody Loves the Sunshine – D’Angelo
11) Abstractionisms – Q-Tip
12) Who’s Got the Weed? – G. Love and Special Sauce
(c) Images this week by Siege.
I’ve always intended for Subverse to be an MP3 blog (among other things). But I have been woefully lazy in the year and three months now that this site has existed. It’s time to start following through on my original idea.
My hope (or rather, as my shrink insists I say, my plan) is to put up two mixes a month – every other Sunday.
SUNDAY MIXES: Consisting of curated music on a theme, ideally meant to be listened to in order, as a DJ-ed set.
A mix-tape from me to you.
Today’s theme is simply the weather of this weekend I’ve spent at the farmhouse (in upstate New York). It’s gone from breathtakingly beautiful summer sun across the flower gardens and lush green hillsides – to moody grey hours of drizzling rain and thunder rumbling in the heavy clouds. Only to, once again, be surprised by a peek of golden light breaking through the grey over the Hudson River just before sunset.
And so today’s Sunday Mix No. 1 offers a similar journey. From the joy of a sunny morning upstate, to the quiet of an afternoon indoors, and back again.
See you next Sunday.
- Woodstock – Alice Russell
- Devil Do – Holly Golightly & The Brokeoffs
- Shake It Off – Wilco
- History Song (Live, with instrumental intro) – The Good, The Bad & The Queen
- Roll On (Ft. Jenny Lewis) – Dntel
- Assoul – Tinariwen
- Reckoner – Thom Yorke (Acoustic @ Free Trade Show 4/16/07
- Ray-O-Graph – Jackie-O Motherfucker
- Cajuina – Forro in the Dark
- First Desert Ride – Jeff Simmons/Randy Sterling (Naked Angels OST)
- Whole Lotta Love – Ike & Tina Turner
- Jardin d’Hiver – Keren Ann
- All I Want Is You – Sugarplum Fairies
- Paisley Park (Prince cover) – Richard Swift
- Lay and Love – Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy
- The Ride – Joan as Policewoman
- Contusion (Live) – Stevie Wonder
- The Light – White Magic
- Mr. Whippy (ft. Eslam Jawaad) – The Good, The Bad & The Queen
- Boom-Biddy-Boom – Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren